Post 7916 Service Officer Contact

Brendan Conway



Here are some items that you will need to help get your VA claim started:                                                                                    

·      Military Treatment Records

·      Civilian Treatment Records

·      Behavioral Health Records

·      Dental Treatment Records

·      DD-Form 214

·      Marriage Certificates/Divorce Decrees (If applicable)

·      Birth Certificates of Dependents

·      Social Security Cards of Dependents

·      Banking information (i.e. where they want check deposited)

·      Dependent's college transcripts (if applicable. There are all sorts of college programs, not just GI Bill)

·      Retirement physical


I would also recommend that you list out all of the injuries/statuses that you are going to claim and document when they happened.

For example :

Left Shoulder - Original Injury June 1994 St. Louis MO - Torn Rotator Cuff, Injured tendons/ligaments, bursitis.  Multiple X-RAY,MRI (Scott AFB, Seoul Korea, Ft. Belvoir) Multiple surgeries performed 1999,2000 at Ft. Belvoir

Right Knee - Original injury Apr 1997 Camp Henry Korea -  patellar tendonitis.  Has progressively gotten worse, no treatment given outside of being provided patella straps

Right Ring Finger  - Original Injury Sep 1997 Camp Walker Korea - Broken finger. Was never set doctors thought it was a sprain until the swelling went down at that point was told they would have to break my finger again to set it

Back - Original Injury Jul 1998 Ft. Belvoir -



Am I eligible for VA disability compensation?

You may be eligible for VA disability benefits or compensation if you meet both of these requirements.


Both of these must be true:

You have a current illness or injury (known as a condition) that affects your mind or body, and

You served on active duty, active duty for training, or inactive duty training


And at least one of these must be true:

·      You got sick or injured while serving in the military—and can link this condition to your illness or injury (called an in-service disability claim), or

·      You had an illness or injury before you joined the military—and serving made it worse (called a pre-service disability claim), or

·      You have a disability related to your active-duty service that didn’t appear until after you ended your service (called a post-service disability claim)


Presumptive conditions:

For some conditions, we automatically assume (or "presume”) that your service caused your condition. We call these presumptive conditions.


If you have a presumptive condition, you don’t need to prove that your service caused the condition. You only need to meet the service requirements for the presumption.

What should I do if I received an other than honorable, bad conduct, or dishonorable discharge?

If you’ve received one of these discharge statuses, you may not be eligible for VA disability benefits.


There are 2 ways you can try to qualify:

Find out how to apply for a discharge upgrade.

Learn about the VA Character of Discharge review process.



Use VA Form 21-526EZ when you want to apply for VA disability compensation (pay) and related benefits.



Use VA Form 21-4142 to give us permission to obtain your personal information from a non-VA source like a private doctor or hospital.



Use VA Form 21-0781 if you’ve been diagnosed with PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder) and want to apply for related benefits or services.

Use VA Form 21-0781a if you’ve been diagnosed with PTSD related to or because of personal assault, and you want to apply for related benefits or services.


How do I file a claim for compensation?

You can file a claim online now.


File for disability compensation online -


You can also file for disability compensation in any of these 3 ways:

By mail:

File your claim by mail using an Application for Disability Compensation and Related Compensation Benefits (VA Form 21-526EZ).

Print the form, fill it out, and send it to this address:

Department of Veterans Affairs

Claims Intake Center

PO Box 4444

Janesville, WI 53547-4444

In person:

Bring your application to a VA regional office near you.

Find a VA regional office near you -

With the help of a trained professional:

You can work with a trained professional called an accredited representative to get help filing a claim for disability compensation.


Get help from an accredited representative -


Post 7916 Service officer contact

Brendan Conway